I recently got a bandsaw, to be able to cut stock for general use and big steel square tubings for the future DIY lathe stand quickly. So, I got an Optimum S 122 G (which was within my price / performance range). I’m not even going to start about the problems I had while buying it (welcome to Turkey, where no one gives a shit about customers post-sale).
This video had all the help I needed to be able to align the saw blade. Ghostses even kindly responded my question in detail. Yet, something was wrong, and I couldn’t get decent cuts for the life of me.
At the end of each cut, I kept finding the one side of the blade making an angle from the stock, while the other side was square (and when on rest, the blade was dead square to the vise, I used parallel bars and an angle ruler). I kept getting cuts with a vertical angle, with more material at the bottom.
I soon realized that, when I pushed the main saw part when it was all the way down, the hinge shaft was actually moving about 1mm up and right in one of its holes (also moving the blade away from stock). All was good when it was all the way up, due to weight on that part pushing the shaft down. Right after that, I still wanted to try and cut some 60 mm x 60 mm box tubing with 3mm wall thickness for the lathe stand, and I broke the blade, probably due to excess speed. I left the shop for a while not to stress anymore over it.
So, I came back after an hour or so and disassembled the saw to be able to reach the angle plate on the saw stand with no fear, since dealing with machines is easier than dealing with shifty sellers here.
I drilled and tapped M6 screw holes in both base plates of the hinge right above the gap (piece of cake on this cheap cast iron), screwed in cone point setscrews (better angular pressure for what I needed) and stabilized them with non-permanent Loctite clone. The resulting motion was very smooth.
Eventually, I ordered two 14 TPI blades and one 24 TPI blade yesterday. The saw will be sitting in the shop until I receive them. Projects on pause as well. I also removed, cleaned, and re-mounted the lathe chuck. The runout is now down to 0.01 mm.